Am 21.10.2013 22:23, schrieb Dr James A Smith:
You may have some "quirk" going on with DBD::Oracle - it has a nasty
BEGIN block in it which
does some nasty stuff... I had a three day head scratch with this module
moving from Lucid to
Precise as it was not finding the tnsnames files - in the end I had to
set up the environment
before starting up apache. As the Env settings int the config were not
in place when DBD::Oracle
was used for the first time. Not sure when it is being used tho' but it
took a lot of "root"y
hacking to discover the problem!

That rings a bell. I remember having problems when I 'use'ed DBD::Oracle in startup.pl but it worked fine as soon as I didn't try to preload it.
At least worth a try...

-Michael