Have you used the DRCP settings in DBD::Oracle?
http://search.cpan.org/~pythian/DBD-Oracle-1.66/lib/DBD/Oracle.pm#Oracle_DRCP

>From the description of DRCP, it sounds like you should never lose the
connection.  You may want to check the configuration.

>From your debugging output, it looks like the line that tries to re-connect
is failing.  I'd add some debugging statements to confirm that, and then
try writing a simple script outside of mod_perl that tries to re-connect to
Oracle after you drop the connection from the Oracle side.  To figure out
more, you'll probably need to talk to whoever maintains DBD::Oracle.

- Perrin