Figured it out - declaring the location of the scoreboard file in
httpd.conf creates it there.

Getting a segfault with httpd 2.2.24/5.14.2, will get a coredump and
backtrace and report back.

Guessing that the most performant means of using this scoreboard would
be to put it on a ram based tempdisk.

I'm trying to query the scoreboard per request, so that if my server
hits MaxChildren I can turn request based profiling to determine where
requests are spending their time. Seems easier than trying to
replicate the slowness issues I'm seeing with load testing.