Not an answer to your question, but many thanks for that module, for keeping it up-to-date, and for pointing out the differences in Apache 2.4. I used Apache::Cookie as a base to create my own module which does just about every authentication under the sun (for a particular back-end), and it was very valuable.
It looks like I'll have my work cut out to adapt to Apache 2.4 though.

Incidentally, where can I find a description of the new Apache 2.4 API ?

Michael Schout wrote:
Hi.

I have submitted this issue a while back to rt.cpan.org, but I have not
gotten any response.

I am the maintainer of Apache::AuthCookie.

As most of us probably already know, Apache 2.4 has a very different
authentication API from previous Apache versions.  As a result, in order
to release a version of Apache::AuthCookie that passes tests on Apache
2.4 and previous versions, it is necessary to have conditional config
sections that are only enabled for Apache 2.4 or later.

Currently Apache::Test defines APACHE2 if running under apache 2.0 or
later.  The attached patch also defines APACHE24 if running under apache
2 with a minor version >= 4.

I shipped a patch for AuthCookie to the debian folks that works under
Apache 2.4, but I also need this patch in Apache::Test in order to make
it so that the test suite will work on all Apache versions (2.4 as well
as 2.2 and earlier)

Example in AuthCookie t/conf/extra.conf.in:

<IfDefine APACHE24>
  # Apache 2.4+ Auth API
  PerlAddAuthzProvider user My::Auth->authz
</IfDefine>
<IfDefine APACHE2>
  <IfDefine !APACHE24>
    # Pre Apache 2.4 Auth API.
    PerlAuthzHandler ....
  </IfDefine>
</IfDefine>

Hopefully this makes it clear why this is needed, and why I'd like to
see this in Apache::Test before mod_perl for apache 2.4 is finalized.

Regards,
Michael Schout