Guten Tag Randolf Richardson,
am Dienstag, 20. August 2019 um 19:06 schrieben Sie:

>         One of the great things about Perl is that there is more than one
> way to do things, and this flows through to how to handle the storing
> and retrieving of images.  (Everyone else is welcome to share their
> perspectives and experiences on this in replies to this message.)

For very similar reasons like you already mentioned we are even
storing user generated files with sometimes hundreds of MiB each in
Postgres currently. Most files are far smaller, though.  Works, but
has cons as well, especially things like too large dumps in the long
term, increased I/O getting things into postgres etc.

Especially properly using RAII-pattern and new file systems like
BTRFS/ZFS in my opinion are the better way to go today/in future. RAII
helps managing things cleanly, snapshots+ACLs can be used to protect
data, both support checksumming for data integrity and replication is
somewhat easily implemented using sending/receiving snapshots as well.
ZFS and ZREP is already used to mirror servers in our setup and works
reliably.

Nevertheless, your mail in my opinion is a good collection of
arguments which I could have written myself as well. :-)

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Thorsten Schöning

--
Thorsten Schöning       E-Mail: thorsten.schoen...@am-soft.de