Mod Perl is awesome. That said, the cool kids today are all about Plack.

Google: Dancer, Mojolicious, Catalyst. These allow you to plugin to all
parts of the HTTP protocol, but obviously not to modify apache
configuration.
Excelent, stable, FAST, production ready HTTP server: Starman
Even faster, but not as proven: Twiggy.

The most common setup would be with an Nginx process in front.

I had a hard time accepting this was a good configuration because for 20
years I had thought of webservers as big giant compiled systems (apache),
but apparently you can now create something just as fast in Perl.