....I haven't seen any posts about this event, though I've been deleting
like mad recently, funny that.

Tuesday Night:  at, An Tua Rua...er, I mean the club formerly known as 'Ri
Ra' was the scene of mad night of Japanese 'Mods and Monsters' ... and no
less than five bands if I counted right...

A miniature city was the backdrop to a parade of Japanese monsters ala
50s/60s monster films. Monster battles were staged during the band breaks --
the battels were part Sumo choreography,  which eventually degenerated into
WWF pancraton all-in fight.  Ultraman arrived from nebula M78 right on time.
I'm not sure what happened to Zetton , my view was blocked by Hell Monkey
grappling someone to the floor. The monster costumes were exquisite
considering some of them were actually beating the stuffing out of each
other.

Kicking off musically was Jam tribute band All Mod Cons. They are local I
believe but didn't I see them advertised playing the UK maybe 3 years ago?
Very In the City.  Next up, the WAVEMOTION (I keep wanting to say Spyders)
played themes from japanese shows of old  -- kicking off with Star Blazers.
Nice beat and what fantabulous outfits. When will we see them again?

the NEATBEATS did not fail to please.  Very tight combo, their sound danced
seamlessly from BoDiddley to Mersey, 2 and 3 part harmonies.  Looked sharp
too; black jackets, white buttondown, narrow ties, they were dressed like
shakin' undertakers. (I couldnt help thinking of Leningrad Cowboys Go
America oddly enough).
After them came the 5,6,7,8s, Japanese girls in the garage. The Come-On
(NYC) also played a set but my memory fails me.

did I mention the geisha go-go girls?  A fine night out, I carried myself
home in pieces.

Michael/Boston