Re  One Hit Wonders: We could go on for weeks with this... personally, I
think it's kind of insulting to call any band a one-hit wonder though. Valid
description in some cases but it's a bit sad to think that many of the bands
(especially ones recently mentioned) probably cared deeply about their music
and did it well, worked hard like any band for timing, the right lineup,
gigs, deals, press... and now are laughed off as only having required the
musical 'knack' to produce one hit, most of which seem no less horribly
dated than anything the rock standbys were probably doing at the time.
Furthermore, the American  80s nostalgia kick of the past few years, heavily
promoted by institutions like VH1, is ridiculous... I think that decade,
like any other decade, produced a lot of good songs and a lot of bad
songs... but merely liking them because they are from the eighties and
therefore 'funny' or becasue they remind one of being young (or, in my age
group's case, being VERY young and only seeing the John Hughes culture
secondhand via our older brothers and sisters). Then again, I'm sure I'm not
alone in liking a lot of sixties music because of the dated production,
arrangement and style... but I wasn't there back then, and it seems so real
to me...
Did that make any sense? Anyways, what got me started on it was a recent MTV
special on one hit wonders that, judging from the promos I saw, was probably
very insulting to a lot of 'hardworking' musicians as it even focused on
'one-hit wonders' of very recent years.
Anyways, should we stop this before one of the absolute beginners slips up
and mentions Come On Eileen, thereby starting a flood of defensive or
condescending posts about the young soul rebels, post-revival pop and the
evil Kevin?

Otherwise,
Miss Misa wrote:
>>>Northeast:  tonic (this is used for ALL soda as well)
"let's go to the bah and get some be-ah"
"i'll just have a freakin' tonic"<<<
Easy there, my dear... in my experience this typoe of language does not
exist in Connecticut(where I grew up drinking 'soda'), extreme Western Mass,
Vermont, Maine or northern New Hampshire. It's merely B-town and its
tentacles that practices it, and at any rate, only the lowly that do so...

The Pixiallated One wrote:
>>>'happy boys happy' book..so ive read that when i was very >young...its
>>>quite old.<<
Martin's site tells us the original German version was published in 1993, so
I'm assuming the English one came later... ??

Leyla sang:
>>it probably didnt help that the 27 year old is english and runs about
>>mumbling things like "lagger", "innit", "wot?, "fucka!"
It was probably the button downs, and haircuts. <ew>>>
Could have been the Tourette's syndrome, a lot of famous musicians have been
known to have a disorder of some sort... speaking of which, Good Vibrations
was played to a confused crowd at a recent Boston do... would anyone
consider that danceable? Or is Beach Boys stuff strictly hands-off in our
sort of places? "Good Vibrations" seems particularly inappropriate for
shakin', but would any of the DJs on the list be so daring as to give
"Darlin'" , Dance Dance Dance or I Get Around a spin?

Julian added:
>>what would they talk about- hopefully... 'Cobra and Phases'<<<
heard Snowbug yet?

Finally, I'd like to ask anyone in the greater Dallas area to give me some
local tips, I'll be flying in there for the slicing of the turkey next week
and will probably be very bored... I've already asked Mr Smileyface Jeff
Harper :-) and he says there is nothing going on... anyone??

Thank you very much
DREW