Well, well,
   it took its time arriving, but now we have it, the North's very own
authentic mod club. Which night is this I hear you say? Why, the Hideaway
club in Manchester. Walking in, you think, 'There's never enough room to
dance on that floor!' A tiny affair, raised above the gathering masses. But
it plays like a dream, especially since someone had had the decency to talc
it up! (Not me I might add, though I had taken some, just in case!) A pin
sharp crowd congregating from as far as Wales (Hi Lee and the rest of the
lads!), all were there to listen and appreciate some good ol'low down gritty
R'n'B and very early soul. The tunes were faultless! 'Carbon Copy', 'Chills
And Fever', 'She'll Be Gone', and even a play of Justine 'Baby' Washington's
'I Can't Wait Until I See My Baby' at my request, spot on that one.
     Mark Ellis was on top form, pulling out some BB classics and some
fantastic R'n'B, despite him being concerned that he might not be able to
compete with the 'big R'n'B collectors'. What the hell was that BB King he
played? Phenomenal track.
       It's really what a mod club ought to be about. Friendly crowd, great
atmosphere, and impeccable unknown music that makes you wonder how you ever
survived without it.
             Hoorah to Mr Warburton et al on filling a long overdue niche in
the Mod market. Bringing Mod back home and refusing to cavort with the
resurging hippy rebellion that seems to be ripping the UK Mod scene apart at
the moment. This really is perhaps the definitive Mod/R'n'B club in the UK.
A hark back to a scene that in this intensity probably hasn't been around
for about 5 years.
              It must be the nearest thing to the Wheel since it's sad
demise all those years ago. Taking Roger Eagle's (God Bless His Soul)
philosophy and letting the people find their music. All credit lads, a
fantastic night, I'm
        only sorry I can't make the next one....
             Matt.......