If you liked the Umbrellas....be sure to see Jacques Demy's The Young Girls
of Rochefort, made three years later ('67). As for digging them rich 60's
colors, try Tokyo Drifter and Contempt for deep saturated bliss.

And as for why it looks so good...my 2 cents says high production values,
Demy's great color sense, the set design, and the cinematography (Jean
Rabier, who shot Cleo from 5 to 7, and was cameraman on 400 Blows and
Elevator to the Gallows which is a great French thriller) were why it looked
good in the first place. The main reason it looks so good now is that they
did a great job remastering it. Many of the older films you see that haven't
been restored are from murky old prints, so you forget that they were once
sharp and crystal clear. Like getting used to 60's records sounding scratchy
and warm, it can be a shock to experience them all clear and digital.

James

\