I read with interest that a number of listers plan a European vacation, and
thought I should alert anyone with English holiday plans to the following:

Bad news for anyone planning on visiting London in the next six months. The
capital will be shut from Late December in order for "routine repairs and
maintenance". The closure, which happens typically every hundred years or
so, gives the city fathers a chance to catch up on the sort of job that gets
overlooked in the wake of more pressing problems. Starting in early January,
pavements will be polished, pigeons de-infested, and the homeless given a
new lick of paint. Officials hope to re-open by mid-April, however those who
remember the delays in re-furbishing the North last year will not be
surprised if work carries on right up till next Autumn.

It spells more annoyance for long-suffering residents, who will be housed in
pre-fab accomodations in a special 'mock London' on Salisbury Plain. But
even worse news for tourists, especially those who have already purchased
their tickets. Emergency accomodations have been set up in Reading and
Dorking for those unable to change their plans at this late stage. And the
Lord Mayor of London, Richard Whittington, promises that all tickets will be
honoured when the new, brighter, more expensive London re-opens.

So, doesn't sound like much clubbing or shopping will be going down. It's
annoying I know but remember it is tourism that wears the gears of the city
down in the first place.