Full_Name: Walt Lillyman
Version: mod_ssl-2.1.8-1.3.4
OS: Red Hat Linux 5.2
Submission from: outb248.codamc.com (199.217.218.248)

My $350 Verisign cert doesn't work, but self-signed certs do,
so this is really a request for help in generating a good CSR to
get a good cert from Verisign that matches my private key.
I appreciate any advice.

The output from
ssleay rsa -noout -text -in server.key
ssleay x509 -noout -text -in server.crt
looks OK; no error messages.

The output from
ssleay rsa -noout -modulus -in server.key | ssleay md5
ssleay x509 -noout -modulus -in server.crt | ssleay md5
produces very different hex numbers, which I assume means
they don't match, and won't work.

In fact, they don't work, and I get "write:errno=32" from
s_client -connect myservername.mydomain.com:443 -state -debug

So, I gotta give Verisign another $100 to get this right.
Here's what I did; any advice what I did wrong?

I generated a private key with
ssleay genrsa -des3 -out server.key 1024

I generated a CSR with
ssleay req -new -days 365 -key server.key -out server.csr
It used the config from ssleay.cnf.  Is there anything in
there that I should change?
I specified [St Louis] as Locality Name, not [Saint Louis],
like Verisign says.  Would that really screw up the cert?
(I know... I'm _reaching_...)
I specified an 'extra' attribute of a challenge password,
should I leave all 'extra' attributes blank?

The CSR submitted OK.  I received the cert.  I ignored Verisign's
errant documentation about how to install it, and I moved it
into the ssl.crt directory. I ran Make to update the hashlinks.
I ensured my private key was in place in ssl.key.  I ensured
they were both pointed to in httpd.conf.  I stopped and started
the secure server.  It asked for and accepted my pass phrase.

I can connect via http, but connection attempts to https result
in "network connection was refused by the server" in
Netscape Communicator 4.5, and
"[error] Unable to configure server private key for connection"
in ssl_engine_log and error_log.

I moved back my self-signed certs and everything is peachy.

How do I get a good cert out of Verisign?

Thanks again for any help.
Walt;