On Mon, Mar 22, 1999, Forrest Aldrich wrote:

> The new version of mod_ssl appears to have some problems compiling on
> FreeBSD-3.1.  I've not had this problem with previous versions, and the
> directions were followed over and over to the T, and from fresh source
> archives (just for paranoia).   The errors are below.
> modules/ssl/libssl.a(ssl_engine_init.o): In function `ssl_init_GetCertAndKey':

>[...]
> ssl_engine_init.o(.text+0x535): undefined reference to `SSLv2_server_method'
> ssl_engine_init.o(.text+0x53d): undefined reference to `SSL_CTX_new'
> ssl_engine_init.o(.text+0x54d): undefined reference to `SSLv23_server_method'
> ssl_engine_init.o(.text+0x555): undefined reference to `SSL_CTX_new'
> ssl_engine_init.o(.text+0x5c9): undefined reference to `SSL_CTX_set_ex_data'
> ssl_engine_init.o(.text+0x616): undefined reference to `SSL_CTX_set_verify'

No, don't blame mod_ssl for this. It's not mod_ssl's problem.  It's a problem
of OpenSSL's libraries on your platform, but again it should be not OpenSSL's
problem. Instead I guess you've not built OpenSSL with the "FreeBSD-elf"
platform id.  Instead I guess you used just "FreeBSD" and this way got a.out
stuff which confused something. At least you can be sure that both Apache,
mod_ssl and OpenSSL all work fine under FreeBSD 3.1, because that's the
platform I use myself for development...