In article <> you wrote:
>> Ok, I'll see what I can do for you and others who want such access. What is
>> your preferred access method? Plain (Anon-)CVS? CVSup? RSYNC? Whatever?  The
>> sw.engelschall.com machine at the ETHZ is a Solaris box, so CVSup is horrible
>> to install (Modula-3!), Anon-CVS is ok but required a little bit of CVS
>> fiddling, RSYNC is already there and available. So when RSYNC is ok this
>> currently would be the preferred way (notice: the RSYNC program is trivial to
>> install and very fast under update-time). When you want real-CVS you have to
>> wait a little bit longer...

> Real-CVS would be ideal. After that, rsync is fine.

Wait! I didn't mean that you can rsync only the HEAD stuff.  You can rsync the
complete CVS repository with the ,v files.  Here RSync is better than
Real-CVS, because RSync is faster in updating your local repository copy and
then you have the advantage of fast checkout/diff/update operations because
the repository is _local_.

> I actually tried to get
> the mod_ssl-distrib package using rsync as a little test. I followed the
> instructions on http://www.engelschall.com/sw/mod_ssl/distrib/mirror.html.
> I was able to do a:

>         $ rsync sw.engelschall.com::
> But:
>         $ rsync -rztpv --delete sw.engelschall.com::mod_ssl-distrib \
>             /tmp/mod_ssl

> fails. Strace reports that I'm stuck in a loop waiting on select. Is this
> just me, or have others had problems?

I tried it again myself and it works fine. And some of the mirrors use it,
too. So I think its a local problem for you. Perhaps a platform problem of
rsync. What platform are you using?