On Tue, Nov 10, 1998, Cohen, Joseph wrote:

> I am trying to set two named base Secured Virtual Hosts under one httpd
> daemon as follows:
>
> NameVirtualHost 207.99.47.2:443
> <VirtualHost 207.99.47.2:443>
>[...]
> </VirtualHost>
>
> NameVirtualHost 207.99.47.2:443
> <VirtualHost 207.99.47.2:443>
>[...]
> </VirtualHost>
> </IfDefine>
>
> When I start apache everything seems ok.  However when I'm trying to access
> the second domain (ie https:secure.real-estate.org) I get a certificate file
> from cartco (ie cartco.crt). This in turn is causing the IE 4.0 browser not
> be able to proceed. Because the domain name doesn't match the name on the
> certificate.
>
> I appears as if the VirtualHost for secure.real-estate.org is not been read.
>
> Am I doing anything wrong, or is there a bug that I not aware of?

This is not a bug in mod_ssl or Apache itself. It's a basic problem with HTTP
over SSL (=HTTPS). You can't use (or under certain circumstances at least only
use one) name-based virtual hosts in conjunction with SSL. You have to use
IP-based virtual hosts.  Please read the FAQ entry under
http://www.engelschall.com/sw/mod_ssl/docs/#FAQ-vhosts for more details.