On Thu, Dec 03, 1998, Enrique Mochales Estany wrote:

>     I want to install mod_ssl and ssleay to my apache1.3.3-PHP3-MySQL
> trio, so I followed the steps in the mod_ssl INSTALL file. The building
> of SSLeay-0.9.0b seems to go fine, as well as the configuration of
> mod_ssl and the building of php3, but when it comes to configure apache
> with mod_ssl and php3 I get an error message from configure saying that
> it can't find the ssl binaries under /usr/local/ssl.
>     I guess that something is missing in the building steps of the whole
> thing... The steps that I take are the following (after extracting all
> the packages):
>
>[...]
> #Configuration and building of Apache with mod_ssl and PHP3
> cd apache_1.3.3
> SSL_BASE=/usr/local/ssleay/SSLeay-0.9.0b
> ./configure \
>                     --prefix=/usr/local/apache \
>                     --activate-module=src/modules/php3/libphp3.a \
>                     --enable-module=ssl \
>                     --enable-module=php
>
> And now I get the message 'can't find the binaries in /usr/local/ssl'
>
> Do the binaries of SSLeay have to be installed under /usr/local/ssl?
> What is missing in the steps above??

I think your problem is the fact that you overlooked a subtle syntax detail
for the Bourne Shell: The SSL_BASE has to be on the _same_ command line as
./configure in order to set it for it. When you enter it seperately you
have to use "export SSL_BASE". As it's the case for all configure-style
scripts.

So, try either

$ SSL_BASE=... ./configure ...

or