On Fri, Apr 23, 1999, Dan Shechter wrote:

>[...]
> I know ie4/5 & netscape all use the pkcs#12 for import/export of
> certificates.
> I've found a pkcs extension/patch to openssl 0.9.2 from www.openca.org

BTW, it's nothing from OpenCA, it's Steven Hensons PKCS12 package which he
recently also incorporated into OpenSSL for 0.9.3.

> Should I use the sigh.sh script to make certificates for users (such
> as myself) then use 'openssl pkcs12 ....' to create p12 files which
> netscape / ie4 will be a able to import?
>
> Is this the `right' way to do this?
> What other ways exist? (server side certificates?)...

You can use whatever you want, especially write your own scripts, of course.
When you want to start, start with mca.sh or some similar scripts flying
around on the net. They all do no magic, so don't think you really need them.
They are just convinience wrappers....