I am running IE5.0 on NT4 SP4 against HPUX 10.20 apache
Apache Server Information

Server Settings, mod_tauth_nukrb5.c, mod_tnuaccess.c, mod_ssl.c,
mod_setenvif.c, mod_so.c, mod_digest.c, mod_auth.c, mod_access.c,
mod_rewrite.c, mod_alias.c, mod_proxy.c, mod_userdir.c, mod_actions.c,
mod_imap.c, mod_asis.c, mod_cgi.c, mod_dir.c, mod_autoindex.c,
mod_include.c, mod_info.c, mod_status.c, mod_negotiation.c, mod_mime.c,
mod_log_config.c, mod_env.c, http_core.c

Server Version: Apache/1.3.6 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.7
OpenSSL/0.9.2b
Server Built: Apr 6 1999 09:17:22
API Version: 19990320:0
Run Mode: standalone
User/Group: www(101)/102
Hostname/port: www-snap.it-services.nwu.edu:81
Daemons: start: 3    min idle: 5    max idle: 10    max: 128
Max Requests: per child: 50    keep alive: on    max per connection: 100
Threads: per child: 0
Excess requests: per child: 0
Timeouts: connection: 300    keep-alive: 15

I am running port 81 without SSL and port 444 with SSL, this is a test version not the
production server which has the same problem.

15 seconds after the last access via html, netstat on NT shows the connection to the
server in close_wait

On port 81, the next request to this server succeeds.
On port 444, the next request to this server gets the page in IE5 that
The page cannot be displayed
indicating possible problems with the network or dns.

If keepalive is disabled with BrowserMatch  MSIE 5.0  The problem goes away.
But I haven't seen that this is required, nor have I seen any other reference to this.

Is this keepalive problem a known problem?

Is this anyway to fix it without disabling keepalive on the server?

Why does it affect https but not http?

I assume this does not fail with MS ISS what do they do?