On Tue, Jun 15, 1999, Jens-Uwe Mager wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 15, 1999 at 08:09:48AM +0200, Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:
>
> > Ah, MM_SHM_MAXSEGSIZE == 0?! Ouaahh... that shouldn't happen.  Crazy. Then the
> > Autoconf check for this variable already failed for you. Can you find out why?
> > There is large check AC_CHECK_MAXSEGSIZE inside configure.in/aclocal.m4 which
> > does some sort of a binary search to determine the maximum size. And it seems
> > either this test already fails to compile or outputs incorrect values.  I've
> > currently no access to AIX, so I cannot do it myself. Please try to find out
> > why this test fails.
>
> I have not yet installed mm, but what does this test attempt? There is
> just one limit on AIX (I believe on versions before AIX 4.3.X), and
> that is 256MBytes per segment. If you reach that limit probably depends
> upon your swap space and other resource limits.

Yes, that's a lot for AIX. On others systems the limit for shmget() is just
one 1MB. That's why this test determines the maximum segment size up to a soft
limit of 64MB. This information is not needed to really deny allocation (it
wail fail automatically). It's more to allow applications to decide which size
they _want_ to allocate. For instance in mod_ssl the shared memory cache is
usually this maximum minus a little overhead devided by the hash bucket size,
etc. That's why MM determines this maximum value...