The first statistics about mod_ssl are available:
http://www.modssl.org/news/statistic.html

In short:

1. Over 100,000 websites on the Internet are using mod_ssl
   (wou, that's ten times more than I personally expected. hmm)

2. Approx. 3% of all Apache servers run with mod_ssl

3. Both Netcraft's and E-Soft's numbers show nearly the same

5. Over 600 people are subscribed to modssl-users. When one compares this with
   the number of IP-addresses in Netcraft's statistics this approx. means that
   every 100 webmaster which uses mod_ssl is actually subscribed here. Nice.

Sure, it's just statistic, but nevertheless I've to admit that
I was very surprised these days when I got the numbers...