From:   [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] On
Behalf Of [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent:   Saturday, July 03, 1999 4:15 AM
To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject:        Re: [BugDB] graceful restart and changing virtualhost domain (PR#183)

On Sat, Jul 03, 1999, David Harris wrote:

> I have the same problem on my server. I'm running mod_ssl-2.3.5-1.3.6.
> (Additionally, mod_ssl-2.1.6-1.3.3 appears to have the same problem.)
Whenever
> I give the server a graceful restart request and have added a new certificate
> or key the restart bombs with the "Ops, no RSA or DSA server certificate
> found?!" error message from pkg.sslmod/ssl_engine_init.c function
> ssl_init_GetCertAndKey() about line 550.

Ahhhh.... WAIT! Then it's clear, this cannot work: When you add or remove a
cert from the config, you need a complete stop/start of the server, of course.
Because mod_ssl caches (and has to cache) all certificates and keys on
startup. When you add an additional private key which is encrypted how should
mod_ssl ask you for the pass phrase on restarts (where Apache is already
detached from the terminal!)? You see it? That's why you can't change
certs/keys and just use a restart? But seems like I should add a special error
message for this situation and add an entry to the FAQ...

> [...]
> The solution would be to check for any new certificate and key files to be
read
> on the module initializations caused by graceful restarts. Of course, the
> passphrase prompt would have to be disabled for this read, but that's not
> really a problem.

Oh, this is a problem, because how else should the pass phrase be read?