Hi all,

I have been trying to use client certificates with both Communicator and IE.
I generated them myself.  I converted them to pkcs12 format using notes in
the following FAQ: http://www.drh-consultancy.demon.co.uk/  (Q. I'm having
real problems getting a certificate into Netscape, help!) and imported them
into various browsers.

The certificates worked great with Internet Explorer.  However, I am having
problems with Communicator.  When  apache/mod_ssl asks for a certificate I
select the one I made.  The browser then asks for the DB password and times
out.  If I hit stop and then retried, it would ask me for the certificate
again and then load the web page.  Whenever I jumped to a new page I am
asked for the certificate again !!!

I thought that I was not making the certificates properly.  To confirm this
conclusion I decided to test client certificates that I generated on
Netscape Certificate Server and have used on other servers (Netscape
Enterprise on NT).  The client certificates that I used for testing work
with Netscape Enterprise Server and both Internet Explorer and Netscape
Communicator browsers.  Everything still worked with IE.  However
Communicator  gave me the exact same result as before.  So I think I have
been making valid certificates all along.

Thus, I think that there is a problem with mod_ssl.  Is anybody out there
using mod_ssl with Netscape Browsers?

Any suggestions or comments ?

Thanks,
Arend van der Veen