On 10th.September.1999, Ralf S. Engelschall wrote :

> On Fri, Sep 10, 1999, Sun JunXu wrote:
>
>> [...3 quoted mail headers removed...]
>> [...5 quoted mailing list footers removed...]
>
> Errr... sorry if I had to complain now, but the thread becomes horrible:
have
> you guys ever heard that one should edit _and strip down_ the quotation
text
> when sending a reply in order to make it readable to the receivers?  It's
more
> than lame to send a four line reply with 3 quoted mail headers and 5
quoted
> mailing list footers attached to the message.
>
> Additionally: it's considered bad practice to write your reply paragraph
above
> the quotation. So please make yourself a favor and invest[igate] a few
minutes
> per day more time when writing to mailing lists like this.
[snip]
> Thanks.

I haven't read this list in my mailbox for a couple of weeks, and was just
on the point of making the same point/complaint myself. Just in case anyone
thinks Ralf might be the only listmember who thinks this, I decided to add
my voice anyway - *please* trim unnecessary stuff from quoted messages.

I know part of the problem is that many of us are (at work) having to use
Micro$oft Outlook, which makes intelligent quoting fairly difficult. It puts
the quoted text after the reply which means that (a) inline quoting is
tediously manual, (b) lots of folks don't even look at the quoted message in
their reply - they don't look past their own signature lines - so they
forget the quoted bit is even there. But as Ralf says, it only takes a few
minutes of extra effort, and makes the Net a better place. Please try.

[Ralf: feel free to moderate this out of the list]

Cheers,
Nick
EDS Healthcare, Bristol, UK