On Tue, Oct 05, 1999, Yan Zhang Chen wrote:

> > > Just curious: why including binary files like the "etc/patch.tar"
> > > in the source tree?
> >
> > Where else would you place them? Everything of mod_ssl is in CVS, so those
> > files are in CVS, too.
>
> My question was actually: should the "etc/patch.tar" expanded in
> the distribution source tree, instead of un-tarred during the
> configure run? We have our CVS policy against storing any generated
> or binary files like such tar balls.

It should be stored as patch.tar in the CVS and it's un-trarred
(automatically) only under configure-time if the user runs the "configure"
script.

> > > How am I supposed to handle this when I import the
> > > source into CVS; importing the binary or importing the untarred text
> > > files (which means I'll have "modified" the distribution tree before
> > > putting it into CVS, which is always not preferred)?
> >
> > Sorry, I still do not see the problem. You can just import the patch.tar file
> > into CVS. CVS is aware of binary files. Just make sure keywords are not
> > expanded by later doing a "cvs admin -kb" on it. That's all and doesn't harm.
>
> For some policy reason (good or bad) we don't use "cvs admin".
> We also have the implicit rule against storing binaries in CVS.
>
> Looks like I'll have to deal with this "etc/patch.tar" separately:
> (1). firstly importing it together with rest of the source tree,
> (2). "cvs remove" it; (3). "cvs add -kb" it again; (4). moving
> the tag for this file.
>
> What'd you think?

Err... you have to do whatever fits your local policies, of course.  But just
a hint: If you remove it later you can even remove it locally before
importing, too.