On Fri, 22 Oct 1999, Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 21, 1999, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > I just built apache_1.3.9 + mod_ssl-2.4.5-1.3.9 + openssl-0.9.4 (it
> > wouldn't build with rsaref, but that's another can o' worms I'll worry
> > about later).
> >
> > It's running on both ports 80 and 443. I can connect with standard http
> > fine, but when I try https, the client just hangs and I get the following
> > in the logs:
> >
> > error_log:
> > " [error] [client x] Invalid method in request % "
> > access_log:
> > " x  - - [21/Oct/1999:17:02:33 -0400] "%" 501 - "
> >
> > So it's seeing a request for "%" from https, but not http ?
> > Hints appreciated.
>
> As the FAQ explains, such errors usually indicate that you're speaking HTTPS

Actually, I looked through the FAQ, as well as the past two months of list
archives  before posting and saw no mention of this "%" error.  In fact, I
just looked again, and I still don't...in any case, this was indeed the
problem.  Thanks.

> to a port where HTTP is spoken only.  Make sure "SSLEngine on" is present and
> that your Listen directives match your <VirtualHost> sections.

I was trying to run the standalone server as SSL, and thought that telling
it to listen on port 443 was enough...still used to Apache_SSL, and the
idea of running two different daemons, with two separate web roots, etc.

The idea of running the SSL virtual host as a virtual host under a regular
httpd standalone server sounds the more I think about it, though...

James Smallacombe                     PlantageNet, Inc. CEO and Janitor
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                                     http://3.am