Please forgive (and inform) me if there is a better
place to ask this -- I'm new to Apache.

I intend to write a web application which needs to
stream data through long-lived connections, both
SSL-authenticated and unauthenticated.  I haven't
decided yet whether I should tunnel my stream in SSL,
use a mime multipart response, or just use a really
long and slow HTTP response to encode a stream back
from the server.

I've briefly looked at the Apache source and it seems
that Apache does IO synchronously, and that a single
thread serves an entire request to completion.  If
this is correct, then each open SSL connection needs
its own thread -- a perf disaster for my application.

Am I totally wrong about my conclusions?  Is Apache
suited to my need to stream?  Any advice would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Peter