Hi everybody,

I'm quite new to the mailing list, found some similar stuff in it but
nothing that can solve my problem.

Here is the story:

I ran mod-ssl 2.3.5-openssl 0.9.3-apache 1.3.6 in a x86 machine with
Linux Red-Hat 6.0 (don't remember Kernel Version).

I configured my apache-ssl server with my server.crt, server.key and a
ca.crt files.

                    ***Note****

My client (1024-bits key) certificate was succesfully created, signed
with ca.crt and imported into my Netscape 4.51 web-browser in a pkcs12
format

                    ***End-Note***

        SSLCertificateFile /some-path/server.crt
        SSLCertificateKeyFile /some-path/server.key

Then I wanted only my self-signed CA to recognize certificates:

        #   Note: Inside SSLCACertificatePath you need hash symlinks
        #         to point to the certificate files. Use the provided
        #         Makefile to update the hash symlinks after changes.

Done.

        SSLCACertificatePath /some-path/
        SSLCACertificateFile /some-path/ca.crt

        SSLVerifyClient            none

when I start httpd with ssl all works fine, but, if I reconfigure it
with a per-directory access restriction

            <Directory /some-directory>
            SSLVerifyClient             require
            SSLVerifyDepth            1            #sometimes I used 5
but the result still didn't change
            SSLOptions                   +FakeBasicAuth
            SSLRequireSSL
            SSLRequire                    %(SSL_CLIENT_S_DN_O) eq
"something"
            </Directory>

then the server ask me a certificate for every page, frame, gif or
whatever he must load from this directory.

Finally I added     +OptRenegotiate     in the SSLOptions directive, and
the server ask me for a certificate but when I click on the Continue
button the answer is:

        You don't have permission to access /some-directory/ on

The error_log file is something like this:

        Cannot find peer certificate chain

Where?

Thanks in advance for help.

Paolo Di Martino