So gave up on trying to compile the tarball, and decided to go with a
simpler, easier RPM (I'm running RH6.1).  I grabbed
apache-mod_ssl-1_3_6_2_3_0-0_i386.rpm, and I installed it.  I then installed
my certificates.  I am able to sucessfully connect to http://myserver, but
when I try to get to https://myserver problems ensue.  Using either IE4.02
or Netscape 4.61, I will get as far as the certificate installation wizards,
and then I get a "the server returned an invalid or unrecognized response"
(from IE) or a "the document contained no data"(netscape).  Ugh.  So I test
the connection manually, as per mod_ssl FAQ, and the last line is:

SSL3 alert write:warning:close notify

I check the error_log and this is the real nasty part:

[notice] child pid 1622 exit signal Segmentation fault (11)

This is pretty much an out-of-the box install, the only other packages that
I've installed on this was ssh-2.0.13, which I installed from a tarball, and
openssl-0_9_4-3_i386.rpm, and mm-1.0.12 (also tarball).

I searched the mailing list archive, and didn't seem to have any luck.