On Mon, Dec 13, 1999, adam beecher wrote:

> I'm trying to set up (on RH 6.0) openssl/mod_ssl/apache/php3, all latest
> (production) versions, with DSO (apxs). Everything seems to be configuring,
> compiling and installing ok, but when I try and start the server with SSL, I
> get the following error:
>
> [Mon Dec 13 23:22:26 1999] [error] mod_ssl: Init: Unable to read server
> certificate from file /etc/httpd/conf/ssl.crt/server.crt (OpenSSL library
> error follows)
> [Mon Dec 13 23:22:26 1999] [error] OpenSSL: error:0D09F007:asn1 encoding
> routines:d2i_X509:expecting an asn1 sequence
>
> Anyone tell me the stupid mistake I made? Total SSL newbie. :)

Look inside the /etc/httpd/conf/ssl.crt/server.crt file.  It has to contain
the certificate of the server in PEM format.  Seems like something is messed
up there. Check whether its correct with "openssl x509 -noout -text -in
/etc/httpd/conf/ssl.crt/server.crt". If this already fails, this has nothing
to do with Apache or mod_ssl, etc. Then OpenSSL already has a problem to read
the contents. If all fails, recreate the file with "make certificate" if
it was just a test certificate.