i am probably stupid for trying to answer since I know
virtually nothing about this stuff.

but....

if i wrote the protocol, i would do a reverse lookup on the
ip address i was communicating with and check that name
against the certificate name.  if you are using a cname, they
will not match.

i am sure someone will correct me if i am wrong.

cliff rayman
genwax.com