Hello,

A while ago I built apache 1.3.6 with mod_ssl-2.3.1-1.3.6 and mod_perl-1.19
on my sun solaris 2.7  PRODUCTION box.

Everything has worked GREAT!

QUESTION:
I want to upgrade to apache1.3.9 and mod_ssl-2.4.8-1.3.9 and mod_perl-1.21,
BUT I am not certain on the safe strategy for upgrading my PRODUCTION
system. Given the steps BELOW for building and installing (from the INSTALL
file), at what point will I disturb libaries/executables that the production
system is using?

Installing mod_ssl into the apache tree in STEP 1 below looks pretty safe.
But when I try installing mod_perl in STEP 2 (make install) it wants to
write to /usr/local/lib/..... which concerns me, what if it overwrites a
mod_perl file that the current system is using (with an incompatible
version)?

I assume in STEP 3 that I can simply direct apache to install to a new
apache home directory.... then test it out, --if it works then install it to
the current apache directory (it will leave my configs and app's alone,
won't it)? OR do I need to create a new instance, and copy over my current
apache web application to it?

Please help,
Thank You
Keith

-
I am following the directions in the INSTALL file:
STEP1
--------
    #   apply mod_ssl to Apache source tree
    $ cd mod_ssl-2.4.x-1.3.x
    $ ./configure \
          --with-apache=../apache_1.3.x
    $ cd ..

STEP 2
---------
    #   apply mod_perl to Apache source tree
    #   and build/install the Perl-side of mod_perl
    $ cd mod_perl-1.xx
    $ perl Makefile.PL \
          EVERYTHING=1 \
          APACHE_SRC=../apache_1.3.x/src \
          USE_APACI=1 \
          PREP_HTTPD=1 \
          DO_HTTPD=1
    $ make
    $ make install
    $ cd ..

STEP 3
---------
    #   build/install Apache with mod_ssl and mod_perl
    $ cd apache_1.3.x
    $ SSL_BASE=/path/to/openssl
      ./configure \
          --prefix=/path/to/apache \
          --enable-module=ssl \
          --activate-module=src/modules/perl/libperl.a \
          --enable-module=perl
    $ make
    $ make certificate
    $ make install