Thanks to all who replied to the problem below.  In my case the problem
was my error.  I had compiled  mod_perl with gcc 2.81 (I think that's
the version)
When I got the error the first time I upgraded gcc to 2.95.1 and tried
to compile apache without recompiling the modules.
Sorry to have wasted everyone's time with my stupidity...
John

Hello all
We are trying to configure mod_ssl (mod_ssl-2.4.8-1.3.9) on a Sun Micro
Ultra2 running Solaris 2.6.  We are using:
Apache 1.3.9
rsaref-2.0
openssl-0.9.4
mm-1.0.12
php-3.0.12
mod_perl-1.21
Compiling using gcc-2.95.1-sol26-sparc-local package from
http://www.sunfreeware.com

The following is the configure command:
and this is the output:

 + doing sanity check on compiler and options
** A test compilation with your Makefile configuration
** failed. This is most likely because your C compiler
** is not ANSI. Apache requires an ANSI C Compiler, such
** as gcc. The above error message from your compiler
** will also provide a clue.
 Aborting!

Any ideas would be appreciated...
John
--
Your anti-Microsoft signatures for Friday are...

Q: What is the difference between Jurassic Park and Microsoft?
A: One is an over-rated high tech theme park based on prehistoric
information and populated mostly by dinosaurs, the other is a Steven
Spielberg movie.

In a world without fences, who needs GATES????