From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 09 February 2000 20:24
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: setting up non-ssl proxy for https use

Hi,

Regarding my experience it is impossible to run HTTPS server (including
proxy server) without SSL support.
The problem is that you server is receiving not http request but HTTPS
request.
To work with this you have to run SSL enabled HTTPD. There is no need you
internal HTTPD to be SSL enabled.

If the scheme is:

web client -->HTTPS--> proxy (apache) -->HTTP--> httpd internal

then you proxy server have to be SSL enabled. There is no need for you
internal one.

If the scheme is:

web client -->HTTPS--> proxy (apache) -->HTTPS--> httpd internal

then both your servers have to be SSL enabled.

If the scheme is:

web client -->HTTP--> proxy (apache) -->HTTPS--> httpd internal

Then only you internal server have to be SSL enabled, but I do not see
reason to one to use scheme like the last one (to protect yourself from
his local network, but not from the Internet ;)

Rossen