Hi there,

we use

 Apache/1.3.6 (Unix) AuthMySQL/2.20 PHP/3.0.11 mod_ssl/2.3.11 OpenSSL/0.9.4

and have a Thawte-Certificate.

This works quite good but from time to time, especially when the
SSL-Connection is initiated (via redirects from an http-page),
users are irritated by the following error message (this one is from
netscape (some newer mac version)):
------------- >8 snip 8< -----------------
A network error occurred while Netscape was receiving data.
(network Error: Socket is not connected)
Try connecting again.
------------- >8 snap 8< -----------------

On the servers side the log files read:

------------- >8 snip 8< -----------------
[Mon Feb 21 17:32:05 2000] [error] mod_ssl: SSL handshake failed (client <clientIP>,
server <secureservername>:443) (OpenSSL library error follows)
[Mon Feb 21 17:32:05 2000] [error] OpenSSL: error:140943F2:SSL
routines:SSL3_READ_BYTES:sslv3 alert unexpected message
(ClientIP and secureservername are omitted)

Neither can I interpret this error beyond the point that there seems
to be an opensll-Library-Call that reports an "unexpected message" nor
am I able to find a way to avoid that error-message on the client side.

I searched the newsgroups but couldn't find anything useful.

Has anyone out there an idea how to fix this?

Thank you in advance
Olaf R. Heudecker