> > does anyone have information about getting ones CA cert installed into
> > Microsoft and Netscapes Browsers, ie becoming a fully qualified CA
>
> I think a few hundred thousand dollars (US) would do it.

In the case of Netscape, yes. I received the following mail from them
the other day:

> Thank you for patiently waiting to hear the details of participating in Netscape's
>Root
> Certification Authority (Root CA) program for Communicator 5.0; here are the program
>highlights:
>
>  - Price
>     - $250,000 includes five (5) trusted roots (restricted to the domain name of the
>CA)
>     - $5,000 for each additional trusted root (maximum total of 10 trusted roots per
>CA and the
> original 5 count toward this total)
>  - Negotiations under NDA
>  - Certificate Authorities must be issuing public certificates to promote e-commerce
>or step-up
>  - Term of contract is one year

As expected, Microsoft didn't bother to reply for many months. After I
continued nagging I got the following reply at last:

> We are developing a COM control that will allow you to install your root
> rather than requiring it to be "baked-in" we are currently evaluating the
> release vehicle for this - perhaps in the first service pack.

Whatever that means... Anyone has a clue as to what a COM control is?

BTW, there's at least another very promising broser named Opera! Does
anyone know how to get certificates into their products?

Cheers,

        Stefan.