On Tue, Feb 29, 2000, Adam Dennis wrote:

> I'm installing OpenSSL 0.9.5beta2 with Mod_ssl 2.6.0 and
> Apache_1.3.12 on an Apple G3 running Rhapsody 5.5 (Mac OS X) and I'm
> almost finished but...
> When I run 'make certificate' just before the Apache 'make install'
> (after Openssl and Mod_ssl have been configured successfully and
> after a successful make on Apache) I get the following error:
>
> Verifying password - Enter PEM pass phrase:
> unable to write key
> 1366:error:24064064:random number generator:SSLEAY_RAND_BYTES:prng
> not seeded:md
> _rand.c:470:
> mkcert.sh:Error: Failed to encrypt RSA private key
> make[1]: *** [certificate] Error 1
>
> How do I seed the pseudo random number generator? And shouldn't this
> be done in the make on OpenSSL or the ./configure on mod_ssl?

Create a $HOME/.rnd file with some random contents and try again.
Additionally: "make certificate" actually tries to find some files to
seed the PRNG: /var/log/messages /var/adm/messages /kernel /vmunix
/vmlinuz /etc/hosts /etc/resolv.conf. Can it be that Rhapsody has none
of them? Which such files exists on Rhapsody?