Full_Name: Fabien Coelho
Version: 2.5.0
OS: solaris
Submission from: (NULL) (193.48.171.47)

I installed apache as in a nfs-shared ro directory on the local
network, and I want to use it on different machines, with different
configuration, log and so files. This works perfectly but for modssl
which breaks the configurability. Indeed, I run apache with
appropriate options (-R -f ...) and settings (ErrorLog...)
so that each machine uses it's own set of directories
(in my installation, /usr/local/apache/hosts/<machine-name>/...
I can redirect all files at runtime with appropriate directives
(PidFile ScoreBoardFile...) but one :

modssl adds mm stuff (src/main/ap_mm.c) called in src/main/alloc.c.
In particular, it opens a file which is hardwired wrt ApacheRoot,
so it doesn't fit my need. It's with the mm eapi extension in
alloc.c

        mm_path = ap_server_root_relative(permanent_pool,
                  ap_psprintf(permanent_pool, "%s.%ld",
                              EAPI_MM_CORE_PATH, (long)getpid()));
        if ((mm = ap_mm_create(mm_size, mm_path)) == NULL) {
            fprintf(stderr, "Ouch! ap_mm_create(%d, \"%s\") failed\n", mm_size,
mm_path);

It lacks a directive MMFile or whatever to change the default.
Although I can think of ways to walk around the issue, I think
such a directive or option to change the default should be provided.

One more ugly stuff is that you don't need to load ssl to
have the problem to occur, although the code is added by modssl.