Sorry to post this little problem but I'm at my wit's end to find out what's
wrong.

I start the http daemon and try to access a site that requires a login and
password.
I have generated the login and password by using htpasswd, stored the
password in a file called .htpasswd, created a group file called .htgroup,
added their paths into my httpd.conf file, and created a .htaccess file in
the document root directory.

When I try to access the page, I am prompted for a login and password. I
enter these in but I keep getting an 'Authorisation Failed' message. I try
this for a few different logins and passwords that I have generated but none
seem to work.

This is what I have in my httpd.conf file:

DocumentRoot /export/users/vekraft/apache/www

<Directory "/export/users/vekraft/apache/www">
        AllowOverride None

        Order allow, deny
        Allow from all

        <LIMIT GET POST>
                require group webdevelop
        </LIMIT>

        deny from all

        AuthName "Web Developers Only Please"
        AuthType Basic
        AuthUserFile /export/users/vekraft/apache/secret/.htpasswd
        AuthGroupFile /export/users/vekraft/apache/secret/.htgroup
        require group webdevelop
        satisfy any

</Directory>

I have the correct paths to find the user/password, group etc... files but I
still cannot
get the authorisation thing to work.

I'm using Apache 1.3.11 with mod_ssl 2.5.0 and openssl 0.9.4 and netscape
communicator 4.7
I have also tried it on MSIE 5 and it doesn't on that either.

Veronique