On Tue, Mar 07, 2000, Jeff Kerr wrote:

> I found the same problems here in AU..  If your working off the INSTALL file
> in mod_ssl, You will probably find that a final command in the installing of
> openssl is missing..  I installed openssl from it's own instructions, and
> the last line is 'make install'..  This did not appear in the previous
> mod_ssl/apache docs, but everything then compiled fine..

Errr.. no, there is no command missing in the INSTALL document,
believe me. That there is no "make install" at the OpenSSL steps is
intentionally, because OpenSSL is not required to be installed in
order to link mod_ssl against it. One can do the "make install",
of course. But then you also have to configure mod_ssl differently
(--with-ssl=DIR has to point to DIR=$prefix instead of the source tree).
So, the INSTALL document is complete and correct, but I guess the user
seems to have used --with-ssl=<openssl-install-prefix> instead of
--with-ssl=<openssl-source-dir>.