On Mon, Mar 06, 2000 at 09:48:47AM -0000, Airey, John wrote:
> [...]

Well, I understand that, but it seems that people (including Thawte,
Microslug and Nutscrape) are missing the point.

There are to separate things that secure web servers do.

1.      Authenticate who you're talking to, so that when you engage in
        commerce you have some indication that the merchant you think you're
        dealing with is really who you're dealing with.

2.      Encrypt the data so that it cannot be intercepted between the
        sending and receiving machines.

These are NOT the same function, and needing one of them does not imply
needing the other.

Yet, in today's world, you cannot have one without the other, which means
that to get EITHER you must pay someone.

Contrast this with PGP for email, in which I can publish a public key and
once you obtain it you're able to receive an encrypted communication from
me and decode the traffic.  My generation of that key pair does not require
that it be "certified" by any third party.

Karl Denninger ([EMAIL PROTECTED])  Web: http://childrens-justice.org
Isn't it time we started putting KIDS first?  See the above URL for
a plan to do exactly that!