rob,

thanks for your suggestions. although i adjusted your script to
suse's apache-start-script there still was a problem: the
'expect/send' commands somehow could not catch the httpd-process
invoked by the suse-script as suse actually first invokes
startproc which then starts httpd:

> startproc -t 7 /usr/sbin/httpd -f /etc/httpd/httpd.conf $MODULES || return=$rc_failed

now i just removed 'startproc -t 7' which means that i need to
watch out for already running httpd's prior to executing the
script (for not starting multiple instances of httpd). but i get
asked for the passphrase now, which is what i wanted to have :-)

regards

dani

--
Daniel Mettler                  http://www.icu.unizh.ch/~mettlerd