Okay, definite problems here.  First, your Include line

  Include /usr/local/jakarta/jakarta-tomcat/conf/tomcat.conf
comes outside of the <VirtualHost></VirtualHost> section.  That would be okay, except that tomcat.conf contains lines that you want specific to a particular vhost.  In particular:
   ApJServMount default /root

   ApJServMount ajpv12://ipaddressofmylinuxbox:443/examples
The ApJServMount command defines a location within the namespace of a virtual host... you want these lines to be inside your SSL vhost's <VirtualHost></VirtualHost> section.

Second, ApJServMount default /root is, I'm guessing, incorrect.  There should generally be a leading / on the first argument (like /default in this case).  But do you really even want that line at all?  Probably not.  The second ApJServMount line is *definitely* wrong.  First of all, you're missing the first argument (the partial URL to mount onto).  Second, your Tomcat server is definitely *not* running on port 443.

I'm hoping that you just omitted the SSLEngine on directive?

In any case, your problems are not SSL related, they're Tomcat related.  Read up on the documentation at http://jakarta.apache.org/ and http://java.apache.org/ .  If you continue to have problems configuring Tomcat correctly, check the FAQs and mailing lists which are listed at those web sites for assistance.

Hope this helps.

--Cliff

Cliff Woolley
Central Systems Software Administrator
Washington and Lee University
http://www.wlu.edu/~jwoolley/

Work: (540) 463-8089
Pager: (540) 462-2303

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 06/07/00 12:45PM >>>
Thanks for the information, however, for some reason, the httpd.conf file
scoffs at the <Location> tag giving me an Invalid Command error and also
suggesting that it is either mis-spelled or defined by a module that isn't
included in the server configuration.
httpd.conf
(virtual host section)
<VirtualHost mydomain:443>
ServerAdmin [EMAIL PROTECTED]
DocumentRoot /usr/local/jakarta/jakarta-tomcat/webapps/ROOT (I recently
changed to the ROOT app to see if I could get to the JSP and Servlet
examples this way, but no dice.. am I going to have to mount /examples in
this document root as well?  Incidentally, this seems to successfully place
most of Tomcat behind SSL)
ServerName yadda.yadda.com
ErrorLog yadda/yadda.log
TransferLog yadda/yadda.log
SSLCertificationFile /yadda/yadda/snake-oil-cert
SSLCertificationKeyFile /yadda/yadda/snake-oil-key
</VirtualHost>

Include /usr/local/jakarta/jakarta-tomcat/conf/tomcat.conf

<IfModule mod_jserv.c>
ApJServLogFile DISABLED
Include /etc/jserv/jserv.conf
</IfModule>

Now.. for the Tomcat.conf file....

LoadModule jserv_module libexec/mod_jserv.so

<IfModule mod_jserv.c>
ApJServManual on
ApJservDefaultProtocal ajpv12
ApJServSecretKey DISABLED
ApJservMountCopy on
ApJServLogLevel notice

ApJServMount default /root

AddType text/jsp .jsp
AddHandler jserv-servlet .jsp

ApJServMount ajpv12://ipaddressofmylinuxbox:443/examples