Hi Alan.
This undefined symbol (_strtoul) referes to string convertion functions like
strtol and strtoul, therefore it must exist into archive "libc.[a,so]".
I recommend you to use a stable openssl package like 0.9.5a, because this
kind of problem, normally, is assigned to source code in development phase.
However, if want to make the corrections, you can start looking for this
symbol into your Common System Libraries (some archives on /usr/lib
directory) using the "nm | grep _strtoul" command.
If you find this symbol defined into some library then you can modify Apache
Makefile to include the library.
But, if you can not find this symbol, you will probably need to apply
Patches to your O.S. or make corrections on the SSL source code.

Bye. Danilo.