On Fri, Jun 16, 2000, Patrick Welche wrote:

> I know that security doesn't make sense with alpha code. AFAICT 1.3.12 is
> the last apache in the 1.3 series, so I thought I would try the 2.0 alpha
> version. mod_ssl is obviously precise about which version it works with. Is
> it even worth trying mod_ssl-2.6.4-1.3.12 with it, or does one of you
> already know the outcome?

A few facts:

1. 1.3.12 will be not the last Apache version from the 1.3 series.
   There will be at least one more: 1.3.13.

2. mod_ssl 2.x.y cannot be used with Apache 2.0aX. You have no chance,
   because the Apache 2.0 API is horribly different (or should I say
   "horribly and different" ;). So, forget this idea, please.

3. You should try Apache 2.0aX only if you're an Apache developer,
   a good hacker who can help oneself in case of problems or at least
   if you're a geek who likes to see programs which not even compile ;)
   My advise: Still use Apache 1.3!

4. When mod_ssl will be ported to new Apache versions is still not decided.
   At least the Apache 2.0 API still changes too much and too often and
   so it is IMO useless and a waste of time to already port mod_ssl to
   it - even for testing purposes. If it becomes clear (hopefully when
   2.0bX is started) that the API is stabilized in layout, I'll port
   mod_ssl to Apache 2.0 for us.

Yours,