Afternoon, Lutz:

I want to thank you for responding, and I believe you have understood my
frustration rather well, because your experience parallels mine. However, since I
am an applications man, not a systems man, you can I am sure understand my
confusion about this.

In my field (psychology) entropy has an entirely different meaning.

I'd be thrilled to have the chance to incorporate your solution when it is
available. The only thing saving me from total aggravation is that the problem is
on our development and data base server which updates the web server, so the 30
second waits going in and out of https/http are endured only by the internal staff.

Yes, I am thankful for small mercies.