Hi,

I'm new to mod_ssl and am just trying to get something up and running
with a dummy server certificate for testing purposes. I'm running on
Windows NT 4, so I don't have the "make certificate" option available to
me.

I've followed the steps in Chapter 6 (FAQ List) of the mod_ssl manual to
create a server.key and server.crt:

D:\tmp>openssl genrsa -des3 -rand D:\WINNT\system32\MSHTML.DLL -out
server.key
D:\tmp>openssl req -new -key server.key -out server.csr
D:\tmp>openssl genrsa -des3 -rand D:\WINNT\system32\MSHTML.DLL -out
ca.key 1024
D:\tmp>openssl req -new -x509 -days 365 -key ca.key -out ca.crt
D:\tmp>perl sign.pl server.csr

where sign.pl is a Perl translation of the sign.sh program from the
pkg.contrib directory.

Unfortunately the final step above produces the following output when
verifying the server.crt:

CA verifying: 'server.crt' <-> CA cert:
server.crt: /C=UK/ST=BANES/L=Bath/O=Radan Computational Ltd/OU=Product
Developme
nt [EMAIL PROTECTED]
error 18 at 0 depth lookup:self signed certificate
/C=UK/ST=BANES/L=Bath/O=Radan Computational Ltd/OU=Product Development
Group/CN=
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
error 7 at 0 depth lookup:certificate signature failure

Perhaps unsurprisingly given this, if I now startup Apache+mod_ssl using
this server.key and server.crt and then try to connect from a web client
(Communicator 4.7) I get the following pop-up error box:

 The server's certificate has an invalid signature.
 You will not be able to connect to this site securely.

I believe my httpd.conf is OK because if I replace these server.key and
server.crt with snakeoil-rsa.key and snakeoil-rsa.crt from the
pkg.sslcfg directory then I can successfully connect to the SSL server.

Any ideas on where I'm going wrong?

OS:
 MS Windows NT4 Workstation SP6
Versions: