Jan Dries wrote:

> Steve Hay wrote:
> >
> > I'm having trouble with the infamous Win32 startup hang problem.
> >
> [...]
> > I've created a simple program to emit the pass phrase [...]
> > This works fine if I start Apache with "-X" (single process), but
> > doesn't help if I don't use the "-X" option: I get no prompt to enter
> > anything, but the server still hangs and now even entering the pass
> > phrase "blind" doesn't work anymore.
> >
> This is indeed a known problem. I traced it in a debugger once. It turns
> out modssl never gets to see the information your password program
> prints because of I/O redirection problems. It's an Apache problem. If I
> remember correctly, Kirk Benson did provide a patch (passing the actual
> I/O pointers rather than NULL at some place where Apache spawns a child
> process), and after that, again if I remember correctly, the password
> program did work for him.

OK.  I found the patch in a mail archive (dated 2000-05-10 18:17:44),
applied it and re-built everything.

This solves the startup hang problem when starting from the command line:  I
now get a second prompt to enter the PassPhrase, and my PassPhrase-emitting
program also works
fine (only emitting the pass phrase once) if I choose to use that instead.

However...  This doesn't work at all if I try to run Apache as an NT
service.

If I use the PassPhrase-emitting program then the service won't start,
saying "Error 1067: The process terminated unexpectedly".

If I don't use the program then the attempting to start the service
initially says it didn't respond to the control service, then says displays
as "Started" in Control Panel->Services and finally causes the whole machine
to hang (not that that's exactly unusual on NT...).

Kirk Benson's patch involved replacing a call to post_parse_init() in
http_main.c with a call instead to his new function, post_parse_init2().
I've tried making the same change to the call to post_parse_init() within
service_init(), but this made no difference.

Does anyone know how to get Apache+mod_ssl running as a service under NT
(without resorting to single-process mode or unencrypted server key)?

Steve Hay