I'm sure this has been discussed before but I can't seem to figure out
why this is happening. This is a RedHat 6.2 system.

The following is the command line used to compile (all paths are
correct):

./configure \
--with-apache=/misc/apache_1.3.12 \
--with-ssl=/misc/openssl-0.9.5a \
--with-layout=RedHat

And this is the output:

Configuring mod_ssl/2.6.5 for Apache/1.3.12
 + Apache location: /misc/apache_1.3.12 (Version 1.3.12)
 + OpenSSL location: /misc/openssl-0.9.5a
 + Auxiliary patch tool: ./etc/patch/patch (local)
 + Applying packages to Apache source tree:
   o Extended API (EAPI)
   o Distribution Documents
   o SSL Module Source
   o SSL Support
   o SSL Configuration Additions
   o SSL Module Documentation
   o Addons
Done: source extension and patches successfully applied.

Configuring for Apache, Version 1.3.12
 + using installation path layout: RedHat (config.layout)
Creating Makefile
Creating Configuration.apaci in src
Error: Cannot find SSL binaries under /misc/openssl-0.9.5a
Creating Makefile in src
 + configured for Linux platform
 + setting C compiler to gcc
 + setting C pre-processor to gcc -E
 + checking for system header files
 + adding selected modules
    o ssl_module uses ConfigStart/End
      + SSL interface: mod_ssl/2.6.5
      + SSL interface build type: OBJ
      + SSL interface compatibility: enabled
      + SSL interface experimental code: disabled
      + SSL interface conservative code: disabled
      + SSL interface vendor extensions: disabled
      + SSL interface plugin: Built-in SDBM
      + SSL library path: /misc/openssl-0.9.5a
./configure:Error: APACI failed