On 2000-09-07, Gary Algier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The posts will go via SSL, however, I don't like interfaces setup
> this way to supply any sensitive information.  One dot-com I was
> considering buying from did this and I was entering my credit card
> information and looked at the current page and saw that it was not
> secure so (rather than doing a view-source and reading the HTML) I
> used the telephone to order.  Checking later I realized I would
> have been OK.

Not necessarily.  Besides simply being bad form, and bad for user/consumer
confidence, there certainly is a good reason for input-form pages to be
served via SSL (and verified by the browser...).  Who's to say that your
ISP wasn't being DNS-cache-poisoned for insecure.example.com, and the order
form at http://insecure.example.com/ (which specified where to POST to)
wasn't being spoofed?

Paranoia is good.  You did the right thing. ;)

--
Hank Leininger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
[ Or someone claiming to be him. ]