On Tue, Sep 12, 2000, Marcos Sanchez wrote:

> Two questions about installing mod_ssl in our Apache web server under
> SuSE Linux 6.3 :
>
>       1) What is better, linking mod_ssl as a DSO or as a Module?

Neither one. Whether you build mod_ssl+OpenSSL as a DSO or as a static module
depends on what you want to achieve. Under runtime both approaches are equal.
They make mainly a difference on startup, because DSOs provide you
_flexibility_.  Or in short, if you not already know or can image why to use
DSOs, then simply don't use them ;)

>       2) Is it true that the server won't work at all in non SSL mode if
> we have SSL installed but not the certificate?

Errrr.. you cannot even _start_ Apache+mod_ssl without a server cert+key
unless you remove _all_ SSLXXXX directives from your server configuration.  So
it is true that in this situation the server won't work at all even in non SSL
mode, of course ;) What you perhaps mean instead is whether one can run HTTP
and not HTTPS even if mod_ssl is compiled into Apache, right? Here is the
answer is "yes, this works fine".